The City of Davis, UC Davis and Associated Students of UC Davis (ASUCD) are planning the
8th DAVIS NEIGHBORS’ NIGHT OUT
Sunday, October 13th
Davis Neighbors’ Night Out is a celebration of our community. The event is an informal opportunity for neighborhoods to increase familiarity and communication among neighbors by way of a block party.
The event was initiated to encourage neighbors to get to know one another. We believe, connected neighborhoods make safer neighborhoods; residents look out for one another, if there is a connection. Many participants have stated they have lived in a neighborhood for years and continue to meet new people at each Dnno event.
The event is scheduled in October to include new or returning UC Davis students in their neighborhood festivities. We believe that starting the academic year on a positive note will reduce the potential for misunderstandings or conflicts by opening lines of communication among all residents.
We are asking neighbors, neighborhood associations, Neighborhood Watch Liaisons, apartment complexes, and/or homeowner associations to be a “Party Sponsor”. The Party Sponsor will take the lead in setting up an activity such as a potluck dinner, BBQ, dessert party or ice cream social to give neighbors an opportunity to introduce themselves and exchange phone numbers for neighborhood watch lists or future neighborhood events.
New this year:
- Updated Party Sponsor sign-up form
- If requested, the City will note on your invitation, your event is a Zero-waste event and/or list an RSVP option.
- More choices with regards to displaying your information on the website.
- 2012 Party hosts have provided tips on hosting an event. This information is in the Documents section.
Invitation options include:
- Email your neighbors, if you have a complete email list for your neighborhood.
- Make your own invitations and deliver to each house. Templates are available in the Documents section.
- City will prepare invitations and mail for you.
If you sign up to host an event prior to September 16th, you can be entered into a lottery for a special guest to attend your event. Special guests, including the Mayor, Council members, UC Davis Chancellor and Provosts, ASUCD Senators, Police and Fire Departments, UCD Cal Aggie Band uh!, UCD Mascot Gunrock, and Unitrans historic London double decker buses will be visiting events. We are adding additional guests and entertainment this year to ensure parties receive a special visitor if requested.
- We request that the block parties take place in a common area to create a more welcoming feel and to make it easy to find the event for those who may be unfamiliar with the neighborhood.
- Be sure to invite everyone in your neighborhood. We encourage you to extend a personal invitation to those who may be new to the neighborhood.
- To accommodate individual neighborhood schedules, we ask each neighborhood to select the best time for their party between Noon-7 pm. When setting the party time, keep in mind, sunset on October 13th is 6:21 pm, and it will start to get dark around 5:45 pm.
- Please sign up to be a Party Sponsor as soon as possible. If you sign up after October 1st, you will need to pick up your party packet from the Davis Police Department.
Need assistance with invitations or have questions, please contact City Staff: